IGA at Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum

The IGA Executive Director attended and spoke at the forum.

From 13-15 May 2015 the Renewable Cities Global Learning Forum was organised by the Simon Fraser Institute in Vancouver, Canada. The Forum brought together 200 representatives of city councils, mayors and urban planners and discussed how renewables can become a more integral part of energy systems in cities and municipalities. The IGA contribution incorporated global geothermal trends into the discussion, outlined geothermal application case studies from Northrhine-Westphalia (Germany), Denmark and Canada and explained who the REN Alliance is.

A field trip was offered to the Southeast False Creek Neighbourhood Energy Utility in Vancouver where heat is collected from waste heat from untreated urban waste water and used for heating the neighbourhood and providing hot water. The project eliminates space and maintenance requirements associated with conventional boilers in individual buildings and provides cost effective and stable rates to area residents and businesses. An average of 70% of the neighbourhood's energy is supplied from recycled waste heat. The remaining 30% comes from high efficiency natural gas boilers which provide back-up and supplemental heating on the coldest days of the year.

More information on the forum and photos are available online: forum.renewablecities.ca. The project is outlined on the following web page: www.renewablecities.ca.

The Global Learning Forum and its session leaders and speakers attracted a lot of media attention over the last month. Check out these select articles:

The Suits Are Flocking to Renewables – The Tyee

Mayor of one of the greenest cities in the world has advice for Vancouver – CBC

Effective government policies would ease shift to renewable energy, conference hears – Vancouver Sun

Vancouver kicks off Global Renewable Cities Initiative event – Vancouver Observer

Audience of the Forum

Building in South East False Creek

Community garden in Vancouver

Interactive sessions during the Forum

Urban transit system in Vancouver